• Madurai Airport

• All About Madurai's Rail, Road & Air Transportation
All About Madurai's Rail, Road & Air Transportation
 #12765  by ananth
 March 4th, 2017, 1:29 pm
M.Mohamed Rafi wrote:Profound Thanks to Indigo Airlines for operating services from Madurai.Their as well as our hope of steady growth of passenger traffic from Madurai, will certainly entail more growth . eagerly awaiting the commencement of Indigo services to destinations like Sharjah, Dubai, Muscat and Singapore , as announced in Indigo's statements to press. Given such a potential , it is very regrettable, as the State owned Air-India as well as early entrants like Jet airways , confined their service only to Chennai and never beyond. We sincerely hope Madurai Airport breaks all the barriers and emerges as a successful, profitable entity.
Ignore AI & Jet. As long as Indigo and SG starts flights to ME & FE, we are happy. We have decent domestic connection. Not decent literally good connection to all metro & tier-i cities barring Calcutta & Ahmedabad. I am expecting before the year end even these two places will be connected with one stop service.
 #12768  by Sundar
 March 4th, 2017, 2:05 pm
I remember someone asked whether IXM can install 3rd air bridge. I think they need to do little work in apron to fit 3rd one.

Fig 1 - Current Status:

Fig 2 - Photoshoped:
 #12769  by Malaysia Mustafa
 March 4th, 2017, 4:53 pm
^^ I also wanted to post an explanation regarding IXM apron.

Disclaimer : I am not an expert in this. Just making use of information available to public and a little logic.

According to the details available in AAI website, IXM apron has 7 bays

It is known to all that when they mention a type of aircraft for a particular bay, any smaller a/c than that type can also use that bay. Now coming to the bays....

2 - ATR/Q400 or smaller
2 - A320/B737-800 or smaller
1 - A321/B738-900 or smaller
1 - 767-400ER
1 - A310-300

If you look at the google map/world picture, you can see there is no bay in the line of 1st Aerobridge, but there is a bay behind 2nd Aerobridge. The apron is designed in the way that when the 2nd aerobridge is occupied, the bay behind it cannot be used. In other words, thought IXM has 7 bays, only 6 can be used simultaneously.

Coming to the aerobridge part, one can assume with the type of aircraft mentioned in the AAI website that those are Code D aircraft. B767-400ER is the biggest code D aircraft with 51.92 m wingspan (52 m comes under Code E) and A310-300 is much smaller with 43.9 m wingspan, but still Code D aircraft. (Code D consists of aircraft between 36 m and 51.99 m wingspan).

Note: Wingspan is not the only criteria, but it is the major one to decide.

Code D Airbus - A300 and A310 (source)
Code D Boeing - B757 and B767 (source)

This is where our beloved AAI strikes. These type of aircraft are either no longer exists or very few exists that too in some other part of the world. The AAI designed majority of the smaller airports in India according to Code D. Majority of the aircraft (or should I say 90%?) operated in India belong to either Code C or Code E. So the basic itself is wrong for IXM apron.

Problem with 1st aerobridge

Point 1 : If you look at the google map/earth pic, you can very little concrete surface to the left of 1st Aerobridge. This makes it inconvenient for airlines to use the back-right side exit as the step ladder has to towed and towing vehicle might slip into the mud. You might ask me why airlines should use the back side door when the front door is connected to aerobridge.

a) Airlines like Indigo often uses both aerobridge and back exit to board and deboard the passengers which helps their efficient turnarounds.

b) The important thing is according to DGCA guidelines, "Provision is made for the safe evacuation of passengers via at least two of the main passenger embarkation and disembarkation doors in the event of the emergency." This means it doesn't matter whether the airlines use the back-right side exit or not, they have to place a step ladder while refuelling as they need to evacuate passengers immediately in the time of emergency. Most of the airlines in India usually refuel in the destination airport for the return flight instead of carrying the whole fuel from origin station.

Point 2 : There is unusual long pushback for both 1st and 2nd aerobridge as the aircraft has to be pushed back till the disused runway (which is used as taxiway). This is because, this part of apron is designed keeping Code D aircraft in mind and accordingly, we dont have enough space within apron to turnaround.

Both the above points make airlines reluctant to use 1st aerobridge especially domestic flights which aim quick turnarounds. So airlines use it only when they are desperate to use aerobridge or when the other bays are occupied.

Peak hour

According to the schedules appear in the booking engine of airlines, the peak time is 12:40 to 13:30 where we will be having three narrow body aircraft (1 A319, 1 A320 and 1 B738). Since we have 5 bays for these kinda aircraft and 4 can be used simultaneously, I dont think we need to worry much. Even in the case of delay of any other aircraft, we still have 1 extra A320/B737 bay and 2 ATR/Q400 bay.

Charters can be parked in the disused runway as you can see in the above pic already that one small is parked there.

Need of the hour

Few things which can make IXM apron more efficient and can be done within existing space are

a) Increase the concrete surface on the left side of 1st aerobridge which will help the a/c using it for a quick turnaround

b) Redesign the existing apron according to Code C. It will reduce the pushback length and inturn help airlines to have a quick turnaround. Redesigning according to Code E takes more space and lot of work and runway has to be upgraded. IMO, IXM doesn't need Code E aircraft at least for the next 10-15 years. IXM kinda airport usually plays with frequency rather than capacity.

I hope this explains everything.
 #12770  by Sundar
 March 4th, 2017, 6:03 pm
^^ Thanks for the detailed report. AAI definitely need to re-design apron. In my recent visit, I saw concrete works are happening at the places I marked (red) in the below picture. Not sure about the purpose.

madurakarenda liked this
 #12771  by M.Mohamed Rafi
 March 4th, 2017, 11:13 pm
Well, lots of thanks to Mr Mustafa for the exhaustive , painstaking efforts to analyse suggest an effective solution for the efficient utility of the aero bridges and parking bays , provided at Madurai Airport. think with the incraese in frequency and passenger traffic , the AAI authorities will extend the apron area concreting and contiguous facilities, to facilitate ease of operations. may be we should start requests to AAI, highlighting this requirement.let us hope for good.
madurakarenda liked this
 #12772  by M.Mohamed Rafi
 March 4th, 2017, 11:15 pm
Thanks to Mr Sundar for the keen observation and instant response. wish more good things happen in Madurai.
 #12800  by Sundar
 March 6th, 2017, 5:03 pm
6E to start third daily Madurai - Chennai from 26th March :

6E 137 MAA 0920 - 1020 IXM

6E 138 IXM 1050 - 1205 MAA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #12873  by Sundar
 March 9th, 2017, 9:25 pm
Jet Airways to increase its daily flights to 650

MUMBAI: Jet Airways, India's second-biggest carrier by market share will increase its daily flights to 650 from just over 600 in the forthcoming summer schedule, starting end of March.

"The carrier will launch new, direct services to Madurai and Bagdogra, from Mumbai," it said in a statement.

"Similarly, the airline will also connect the Pink city of Jaipur with Chandigarh, Dehradun with Srinagar, and Bengaluru with Kozhikode with non-stop flights, aside from services linking Bengaluru with Lucknow, via New Delhi and, Mumbai with Srinagar, via Dehradun," it added.

Jet will also add 12 additional frequencies on existing routes across its network. These include a seventh daily flight between Mumbai and Goa, as well as Delhi and Lucknow, aside from a fourth frequency between Chennai–Tiruchirappalli and a second frequency between Delhi and Bhopal. The airline will also introduce two additional services on the New Delhi–Patna route, it said.

http://http://economictimes.indiatimes. ... 559940.cms
 #12881  by Sundar
 March 10th, 2017, 11:03 am
Tender for increasing domestic SHA area by taking some spaces from International SHA. Work has to be completed within 10 days. This is to accommodate increase in number of bigger planes in afternoon from March 26.

http://www.aai.aero/tenders/NITFORWEBPARTIIONNITB.pdf
 #12988  by madurakarenda
 March 18th, 2017, 6:58 am
CHENNAI: Alliance Air, a wholly owned subsidiary of Air India, will soon be operating a flight from Bangalore to Colombo via Madurai, according to Air India’s regional director, southern region, Captain S Arulmani.

Speaking to Express at a function organised to honour top travel agents of Chennai who have achieved high sales and helped Air India grow further on late Friday night, he said schedules are being planned in this regard.
He said Alliance Air has planned to operate the Colombo flight from Madurai as it was along the expectations of the travelling public.

Similarly, Air India has plans to operate Airbus 320 Neo aircraft from Chennai to destinations like Singapore and Bangkok. “This will happen once we get the additional aircraft,” said Captain Arulmani.
Air India is planning to add 100 more aircraft to its fleet in the next three years. Currently, it touches 71 domestic and 41 international destinations. It is also planning to add Tel Aviv and Washington as new international destinations along with one in Scandinavian country which could be either Stockholm or Copenhagen.

The national carrier is also betting big on its new four Dreamliner aircraft which it is planing to acquire by October. These could travel at an altitude of 43,000 feet.
The travel agents honoured included Riya Travels and Akbar Travels in both International and domestic sectors, Balmer Lawrie in domestic sector and FCM Travels in the international sector.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/ ... 82745.html

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk
 #13001  by M.Mohamed Rafi
 March 18th, 2017, 9:35 pm
after deep slumber and reluctance all these years , the Air-India authorities have finally got some awakening . today in the Indian express, there's news about the Bangalore-MADURAI-Colombo service, to be commenced soon. hope it materialises.
 #13015  by Sundar
 March 20th, 2017, 12:02 pm
abhijith16/SSC wrote:6E is operating another MAA-IXM between 05APR-30APR

6E976 MAA0640 - 0755IXM 320 D

6E443 IXM0835 - 0955MAA 320 D

It is temporarily replacing 1 daily Delhi-Chennai during the same period.
As per our source indigo have plan to operate 4th MAA flight. Not sure whether they are just testing it or will continue.
madurakarenda liked this